Did you know that...Toronto is the largest city in Canada, and the fifth-largest in North America. Torontošs population is comprised of more than 80 ethnic groups and that the top three spoken languages are English, Cantonese and Italian. There is no one dollar bill in Canadian currency, but there is a one dollar coin known as a "loonie" and a two dollar coin known as a "twoonie." All Canadian currency is color-coded. The CN Tower in Toronto is currently the world's tallest free-standing structure.

The following information should be of help to you in planning your trip and ensure both an enjoyable visit to Toronto and successful participation in Intermag 2000.

Visit the Tourism Toronto website at:

Other websites that could be of great interest to you are: The Royal Ontario Museum:

The Art Gallery of Ontario:

The Toronto Symphony:

The Canadian Opera Company:

During the week of April 9-13, 2000, Toronto will be on Eastern Daylight Saving Time.

The temperatures in Toronto in April should range between a high of 12 degrees Celsius (53 degrees Fahrenheit) and a low of 3 degrees Celsius (38 degrees Fahrenheit).

Tips for services are between ten and fifteen percent. Bellhops, doormen, red caps, etc. are generally paid $1.00 per item of luggage.

Electric appliances that work in the U.S. without a converter are also compatible with outlets in Canada.

You can safely drink the tap water in Canada.

If you will be entering Canada from the U.S.: Native-born citizens should carry a passport; naturalized citizens need naturalization certificates with photo I.D. and your passport; permanent residents who are not U.S. citizens must carry their alien-registration card as well as their passport.

Visitors from countries other than the U.S. must carry a valid passport. A visa may also be required, depending upon your country of origin. Check with the Canadian Embassy, consulate or mission in your home country for visa requirements and valid travel documents and do so well in advance of your departure for Intermag 2000.

If you are a foreign student, temporary worker in the U.S., or visitor in the U.S. who wants to return to the U.S. after visiting Canada, you should travel to Canada with both your passport and Canadian visitoršs visa. Check with an office of the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service before leaving the U.S. to make sure that you have all the necessary papers to allow your return to the U.S.

If you will be travelling with a child, you should carry the same information for that child (of any age) that you carry for yourself. If you share custody of that child you must carry the legal documents regarding custody with you. If the child is not your own, you will need to carry a letter of permission from the childšs parent or legal guardian.

Although U.S. money is widely accepted in Canada, it is suggested that you exchange your own currency for Canadian dollars at any Canadian financial institution. Most U.S. credit cards are honored in Canada, and any charge to a credit card will reflect the applicable exchange rate.

Taking purchases home: U.S. citizens may return to the U.S. with $400 (retail value) in merchandise duty free, provided you have been out of the U.S. for 48 hours. Visitors from countries other than the U.S. should contact the appropriate government department to check the customs regulation of their country before leaving home.

The Goods and Services Tax (GST) - the 7% GST is charged on most goods and services sold or provided in Canada. Foreign visitors to Canada can apply for a rebate on the GST that is paid on hotel accommodations and on goods purchased in Canada and exported within 60 days of purchase.

Before leaving your own country, you should buy traveleršs health insurance if your personal insurance does not cover hospital and medical services received outside your country. If you are taking medicine prescribed by your physician, bring a copy of the prescription with you, in case it needs to be renewed. All medications should be carried in the container in which they were dispensed.


Click below to register for the at the Royal York Hotel
Click here to view pdf file



[Home] [Exibitors] [Call for papers/Submissions] [Who's Who] [Paper Status] [Registration Form/Hotel Reservations] [Advance Program] [Visitors to Canada]

    Questions? email:   Copyright © 1999 Sutter Design Creative Group. All rights reserved.
Home Home